Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sugabelle's Language Challenge: Tripple A's Entry

Tripple A's Contest Entry by aaadeniran



Translation
Good morning, Good afternoon, Good evening.
I salute all Yorubas far and wide in the world and Nigerians in entirety.
My name is Afeez Adeniran.
I hailed from Isokan LGA of Osun State, Nigeria.


You are not just hearing my ugly voice. It was sugabelle who threw down the gauntlet.
As a silver-tongued and well informed Yoruba speaker, however, I decided to take up the gauntlet.
And I feel highly honored and elated to be part of the contest.


Without any equivocation, it has been a long time since I have been in the US as a student.
As you all know, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than to find anyone with whom you can speak a genuine Yoruba Language. In spite of this problem, I will try as much as I could not to mix the Yoruba I am going to speak in this contest confusedly with English Language.


Since brevity is the soul of with, I will try to cut short my words and focus on the pieces of advice I have for you. At first, I would like each and everyone of us to always promote our rich cultures where-ever we find ourselves. Again, for those of us who cannot speak their native language(s) very well, it is of extreme importance to strive hard and learn the language(s). Many of us can speak English Language even more than the English people. It is, however, disheartening that we do not pay attention to our own mother tongue(s). We fold our arms and watch helplessly as our languages and cultures are being swept swept into oblivion by our laxity.


The white men came to Africa, robbed us of the beauty and pride that are immanent in our languages and cultures. They replaced the intrinsic gold in our cultures with the bronze embedded in their cultures and polished the bronze in such a way that many of us now think their languages and cultures are superior to ours.


This is a wake up call for all and sundry. No one, save you and I, can promote our cultures and languages.Without us, there will be no Nigeria and Nigerians respectively.


How then can we improve our native languages? This is simple. First, we should be watching Nigerian movies. We can learn a lot from watching those movies. Interestingly, most Nigerian movies are readily available on our computers through the internet and can be assessed without paying a dime, not even a brass faden. Also, we should always try to pay visits to our home towns in Nigeria at our convenience.


God bless each and everyone of us, God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

1 comment: